Delete non-manifold faces in mesh
Non-manifold faces have a geometry that cannot be unfolded into a continuous flat piece, this can complicate some tools and operations (like rendering, visualizing and 3D printing).
Importing a CAD design into the software for real-time applications can create non-manifold faces in the geometry. While these faces are invisible to the user and in the visualization, they are expensive to the graphic card and processor. You can delete non-manifold faces using Meshmatic.
To find and delete non-manifold faces
- First, Remove Duplicate Vertices (see remove duplicate vertices documentation for more details)
- Next, Remove Duplicate Faces (see remove duplicate faces documentation for more details)
- Use the Select and Get Total Number of Non-Manifold Faces in Selected tool (5th tool from the top toolbar) to identify non-manifolded faces in your scene
- This tool highlights all the non-manifolded meshes in your scene
- Use the Remove Faces from Non-Manifolded Edges in Selected (6th tool from the top toolbar) to delete the non-manifolded meshes from your scene
- After fixing non-manifold faces, some faces are removed and need to be corrected
- Use the Re-Orient Faces Coherently tool (4th tool from the top toolbar) to re-orient the direction of the faces
- Use the Invert Faces Orientation (3rd tool from the top toolbar) to invert the orientation of the faces